Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Why Do We....

I dont know if I should be putting this in a doc! Frankly because I am not sure how big this post is gonna turn out as I start writing this. I am not sure if I have ever written about what it is that makes me long for The Dark Knight Rises! Is it because it is the final film of this trilogy? Is it because it is a Nolan Film? Is it because it is a Batman film? Frankly, it's tough to put a finger on it! Why am I spending a small fortune to travel hundreds of miles to watch a film in IMAX? Is it because Nolan said it was the best format for viewing this? Is it because I have too much time and money on my hands to even think of doing this? I am being laughed at by my friends, by my colleagues, by everyone who thinks this is just a bit too much to be doing over "just a movie"! I wish I could explain what it is that drives me to do something so "OTT"! But I know they can never understand it! Because deep inside, more than anything else, I am still a child who loves being able to hold a comic and read it, to look at the screen with wonderstruck eyes and feel small again as the images take over, to be transported to another world for a few hours, to "willingly" "suspend my disbelief"!!

But that's just one part of the fascination! The other part has got a more adult-oriented vibe to it! After watching countless "Hollywood Blockbusters" and "big budget filmmaking" and hundreds of other less known obscure films from all over the world, be it indies or massive hits from foreign shores, I am of the belief that if there is one person who brings "QUALITY" to the Hollywood "mass product machinery" it is one man named Christopher Nolan! I am not going to even argue about contemporary directors like Fincher and Aronofsky, they are incredible directors in their own right! But Nolan has put out something that keeps on topping itself, one after the other! I do not know if I am a Nolanite, I do not know what makes one a Nolan-ite or a Whedon-ite! I do not go on message boards and bash people who do not like Nolan's films! I do not threaten critics who topple perfect scores! I do not even disagree with people when they argue against Nolan! I simply nod my head and say, "Oh well, different strokes for different folks!" I am a FAN! Nothing more, nothing less!

And that brings me to my next point, why would I be going on this journey. Why would I think that it is "worth" it! At this moment, I do not even have confirmed IMAX tickets! I might just end up not watching the movie at all on Friday! So what happens? I am going on this journey because about 20-30 odd people, strangers I have never met, are also doing so! I finally find out that I am not crazy as I think I am! And I have some people ( albeit a small group ) who are as crazy about it as I am! I am not "alone" ( if that makes any fucking sense)!!

And that brings me to my final point, the community! I have seen many people leave thank you notes and this was never intended to be one! I am not gonna be "thanking" the community per se for anything! My only point is this, I have grown up hearing about how the Star Wars generation grew up with their favourite movie trilogy, how it revolutionized sci-fi, how it gave birth to an entirely new nerd culture. I have heard people say the Lord of the Rings trilogy was the trilogy of their times, how it revolutionized historical and fantasy epics! This community for me has shown what "The Dark Knight" trilogy has given birth to, the age of comic book movies, how it has revolutionized the way we look at comicbookmovies in general! This is the trilogy of our times! This is why we have nearly 5000 odd members from different part of the world buzzing and sharing ideas, a community that generated it's own merchandise to give itself it's own identity ( albeit borrowed from a movie )! A community that has been referenced in hundreds of sites for all major news updates for the movie! We might not have an official insignia of Batman, we might not be financially backed by WB or DC, but we have made this community our own - the identity of which are comprised of people who have turned their entire houses into a Batcave to people who can come up with the most inane of speculations and then continue to debate about them, to a man who started a countdown to an event that was more than a year away to one guy who thought it would be nice to have a community about a film he was excited for!

The Official Dark Knight Rises Community, ladies and gentleman, is here! It's time is now and you were all here when it happened! This weekend the movie releases and 2 hours and 45 minutes later, it ends! But the community, my fellow members, is here to stay! The Fire has Risen, The Legend Ends, but the Community Begins!! ( okay i admit that was cheesy, but listening to a Hans Zimmer inspirational score will do that to you) :)